I eat a lot of brown rice. I make about 15 cups each time and keep it in the fridge for the week. Even Roscoe eats rice and beans for dinner every night. Depending on what I’m in the mood for, I’ll add different things to my rice each night.
I was looking in the cabinet for coconut milk when I came across pumpkin puree and thought I’d try a little coconut and pumpkin concoction. I had bought the pumpkin puree thinking that I would use it to try out some cookie recipes, but I guess that will have to wait 😉
This rice came out perfectly. It’s the kinda rice that you would eat when you’re out to dinner on vacation, sun-kissed from the day and maybe a little buzzed from the Malibu. It’s creamy, it’s sweet, and it’s savory…and it’s easy.
If you try this recipe, let me know by commenting and rating it!
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced (about 1½ cups)
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1.5 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 Tbsp peeled and grated ginger, about a 2 inch piece (or ½ tsp ginger spice)
- 1 Tsp curry
- 1 cup peas
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- ½ Tsp salt
- On medium to high heat, heat the oil in the pan for one minute.
- Then add the diced onions, stirring for about two minutes, or until translucent.
- Next, stir in the 2 cups of brown rice.
- Add in the coconut milk, pumpkin puree, water, ginger, curry, and salt. Whisk together until completely blended.
- Once this comes to a boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Gently stir in the peas and beans. Cover and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Once the heat is turned off, let the rice sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add in the parsley, stir, and enjoy!